Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Lightning Thief

by Rick Riordan

Dedication: "To Haley, who heard the story first"

First Paragraph: "Look I didn't want to be a half-blood. If you're reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life."

Review: Rick Riordan does a great job of bringing to life Greek Mythology and making it enjoyable for young readers. When I was in 6th grade I was fascinated by Greek Mythology. I spent hours at my local library checking out and reading books into the lore. Because of that I was drawn to this book.

This story takes you on adventures with Percy Jackson. He finds his life turned a bit topsy turvy when his teacher attacks him on a school field trip and things only get worse from there. He makes friends with other "half-bloods" and tries to stop WWIII from happening due to an argument between Zues, Poseidon, and Hades.

This book puts a 21st Century twist on a very old history, making it almost believeable.

Click Here
for the Rick Riordan website.

No comments: