Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Dangerous Dress

by Julia Holden

Dedication: "To my daughter Rachel and the Jane in all of us"

First paragraph: "This is the story of a dress. A dangerous dress. A magical dress, I think. My Grandma's dress. And it is a true story."

Review: Thanks to her grandma's mysterious dress Jane is taken on a series of life changing journeys. Including, but not limited to, getting to know her grandma's secrets and why her grandma had such a magical, mysterious, sexy, dangerous dress.

I have mixed feelings about this book. For the most part I loved it. It was a simple, fun, easy read. It had a lot of things in it that I wish I could do. In fact, I got a passport so that if I should need to leave the country at a moments notice I'd be able to. (Yes, I am a bit of a dreamer). It was about clothes which I would love to know more about but don't. It was about being strong, being brave, and finding that article of clothing that really gives you the strength to do anything. While I don't know much about clothes I do believe that those types of clothes exist. I loved that about this book.

The worst part was being so frustrated with the lovely Jane. She just made some choices/assumptions that were so obviously going to cause trouble that I had a hard time reading on. But I plugged along and eventually got through those parts and continued to enjoy the story. I did hate the nickname she gave her hometown. It just seems so ... unclassy, but I guess that was the point.

If you love reading about clothes, fashion, etc. I'd probably suggest you at least take a look at this book.

Click Here for an interview with Julia Holden as she talks about A Dangerious Dress and many other things.

No comments: