Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Compound

by S.A. Bodeen

Dedication: "For Bailey"

First paragraph:
"This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
-
T.S. Elliot

T.S. Eliot was wrong. My world ended with a bang the minute we entered the Compound and that silver door closed behind us. The sound was brutal. Final."

Review: Eli's world ends at the age of nine, when his family is rushed to an underground compound his father had built in case of a nuclear fallout. Things might not have been so bad but his twin brother and his grandma didn't make it before they were shut in. Their new home for the next 15 years while the world outside falls apart, or so Eli, his siblings, and his mom think.
Eli's dad, Rex, is really easy to loathe. He's bordering on insanity in some of the things he is making his family do, all in the name of survival. It's hard to imagine someone like him could really exist, but at the same time, without him this story would be quite boring.

This book was an interesting read. It was easy to get into and it flowed pretty well. I think the only thing I would have liked the book to have was, more. It seemed like it skimped on some of the elements that may have built up the other characters and their situation. Usually, I'm all about a book being right to the point but I enjoyed the story and I thought there could have been more twists and story to it. But I still really enjoyed it.

I would suggest this book to anyone looking for a bit of a different story. Something to make you think, what if. I read it in a few hours so it's not a book that will take days of your time.

Click here for The Compound website.

No comments: