Friday, January 22, 2010

Rapunzel's Revenge

by Shannon and Dean Hale, Illustrated by Nathan Hale

Dedication: "For Christine Hale, aka Mom, who, but for a lack of mile-long hair and spiteful imprisonment by a witch, could have been the hero of this story. -S.H. and D.H.

To Lindsay, Leigh, and Layna: three cowgirls, my sisters - N.H."

First frame: "Part 1: Upon a Tower Once upon a time, there was a beautiful little girl."

Review: An adventurous take on the Rapunzel story with several entertaining twists, including a certain side-kick named Jack who happens to have a special goose and a lucky bean.

This is the first graphic novel I've ever read so it's hard to do a review on it and I guess I don't have much to compare it to but, I loved it!

I am a sucker for new twists on classic stories and this was just perfect. I am also a sucker for female heroines and female heroines don't get much better than Rapunzel and her whipable long braids.

There were certain parts of the story that were really cheesy but it was entertaining all throughout. I think I'll have to get the next Graphic Novel by the Hale's, Calamity Jack, from the library now!

Click Here for Shannon Hale's Web site for Rapunzel's Revenge.

No comments: