Monday, February 22, 2010

Calamity Jack

by Shannon and Dean Hale. Illustrated by Nathan Hale.

Dedication: "For Max and Maggie, the best teammates a couple of schemers could ever hope for. - S.H. and D.H.

To Greg, Riley, and Rebekah. Three in-laws, three outlaws. And with thanks to Shannon and Dean - no relation, but a lot of admiration. - N.J.H."

First page: "Part 1: The Beanstalk Bonanza - I think of myself as a criminal mastermind ... with an unfortunate amount of bad luck."

Review: This is the sequel to the graphic novel, Rapunzel's Revenge. This time the main character is Jack and he is on a mission to save his home town from the giants and the ant people. After planting a giant beanstalk things in Jack's town take a turn for the worse. The beanstalk uprooted his home and his mom's bakery and the giants have taken over. So Jack has to do whatever he can to right his wrongs. All the while, he's trying to keep Rapunzel from realizing his shady, thieving ways.

I loved this one just as much as the first. There were several times where I laughed out loud. I love Jack. He thinks he's such a bad person and since he's the one narrating the story, it adds a humorous touch. I'm also really glad Rapunzel is back because I loved her in her graphic novel and this just let me enjoy her strong character a little longer. Plus, she really compliments Jack's personality.

The pictures in this book are so fun to look at. Some of them were so perfectly drawn to match what was going on. They definitely added to the humor of Jack's personality. Loved it!

This book is definitely for the younger age groups but I enjoyed it as an adult as well.


Click Here for Shannon Hale's official website.


No comments: