Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger

Dedication: "For Elizabeth Hillman Tamandl May 20, 1915-December 18, 1986 AND Norbert Charles Tamandl February 11, 1915 - May 23, 1957"

First paragraph: "CLARE: It's hard being left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he's okay. It's hard to be the one who stays."

Review: Henry's life has been anything but normal. From the age of 5 he has defied the rules of science and time. The only thing that keeps him going is his wife, Clare. And while he is gone she is left waiting, wondering, and wishing he'd come home.

When I was about half-way through the book, I picked up the movie from a Red Box. I was planning on waiting to watch the movie until I was done with the book but things worked out a little differently then planned. I think it was a good thing. The movie was good. It told a good story. But the book was so much better. I am glad I watched the movie before I finished the book because I was able to actually enjoy the movie. If I had read the book first I think I would have loathed the film a lot more.

Anyway, the book tells a complicated intriguing story but it's delivered really well. There were a few times I had to flip back through the pages to remember what point of time was being lived. But it was a great story. The story is told through a first person point of view, alternating from Henry to Clare and back again. The emotions that the characters feel are so well described and even though they are living pretty normal lives the dialogue and situations are written well enough that even normal life is an interesting read.

This book took me awhile to get through because it's the type of book you read on the beach, you take to the park, or you just read on the bus. It isn't really suspenseful so you just pick it up when you are feeling bored and you read it for a bit until there's something else to do. That doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable - it was.

If you have seen the movie and liked it, or you saw the movie and didn't like it but you like love stories, or haven't seen the movie but you are looking for a book that is a little more adult themed with good characters and an interesting over all perspective, then I think you'd probably enjoy this.

Be advised this book does have a decent amount of language and sexual references. And while normally that might turn me off of a book, for the most part it added to the mood or setting of the story.

Click Here for Audrey Niffengger's website.

1 comment:

kelsey said...

I got this book before going to the beach, but that's the only place I've read it--so it's true when you say it's the kind of book you pick up occasionally--at the beach or on a bus ride. I couldn't get into it enough to read it every night before bed, so I put it back on the shelf. Maybe I'll pull it out for beach/park kinds of moments and just take a year to finish it. But currently I'm distracted by Mountains Beyond Mountains.