Monday, July 13, 2009

Evolution. Me and Other Freaks of Nature

by Robin Brande

First paragraph: "I knew today would be ugly.
When you’re single-handedly responsible for getting your church, your pastor, and every one of your former friends and their parents sued for millions of dollars, you expect to make some enemies. Fine."

Review: I think it appropriate that this book start off this blog. It is after all a book that changed my view on a lot of things. It's funny how something so simple can really make you start to think. I just happened to be questioning the right things at the right time when I picked this book up and I think it changed my life.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a life changing book - unless it is.

Anyway, this book is about a girl named Mena Reece. At first I was a bit skeptical. I thought this book was going to be one of those books that bashes Christianity and makes anyone who believes in God seem crazy. Turns out, it was bashing the crazy religious people. But not all religious people.

Anyway, it's a fun story that puts a fun twist on evolution and religious points of view. I think it takes a great stand on the separation from church and state and most importantly, it really made me wish I had had a biology teacher as brilliant as the one in the book. If that had been the case, maybe I would have been more interested in science.

It's an easy read. You could probably finish it in a day if you had the time to sit down and read for a couple hours. 272 pages to be exact.

Click Here for the Robin Brande website


No comments: