Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

by Stieg Larsson (Translated from the Swedish by Reg Keeland)

First Paragraph: "It happened every year, was almost a ritual. And this was his eighty-second birthday. When, as usual, the flower was delivered, he took off the wrapping paper and then picked up the telephone to call Detective Superintendent Morell who, when he retired, had moved to Lake Siljan in Dalarna. They were not only the same age, they had been born on the same day - which was something of an irony under the circumstances. The old old policeman was sitting with his coffee, wating, expecting the call."

Review: This book was disturbing on so many levels and that might have been a big part of why I found it so interesting. I have to wonder about an author who can come up with characters that are so disturbed but I have to admit it made for a great read.

Normally, I avoid Adult Fiction because it's boring in one way or another. However, Borders recommended this book so I decided to check it out of the library and give it a try. The book has about 3 or 4 different endings 3 of which are good - the only ending I had a real problem with was the real ending. It was what I would call, lame - mostly because I like my stories tied up nicely and this one was not. It wasn't even a "I'm gonna write another book" ending. It was just, "I want to mess with you and I can because I am an author so Ha!" ending.

Anyway, the book is about a journalist sentenced with libel and finds himself in the middle of a very messed up family trying to solve a crime that happened 35 years ago. You learn about a bunch of key people but for nearly half the book you wonder how one really has to do with the other. That sort of stuff all ties up nicely with some very big surprises along the way.

I'm glad I read this book. I'm really glad my views of Adult Fiction have been altered to a more positive light. Glad I took Borders suggestion.

I don't have a website of any kind for the book or the author but I'm sure you can find plenty of information on it via Google and the world wide web.

No comments: