Monday, August 3, 2009

Twilight Series

by Stephanie Meyer

First paragraph of the first chapter of the first book: "My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down. It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix, the sky a perfect, cloudless blue. I was wearing my favorite shirt - sleeveless, white eyelet lace; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture. My carry-on item was a parka."


Review: If you knew me at all you knew this one was coming. I postponed reading this series for awhile just because I don't like reading books when I can't start them and finish them all at once.

I loved this series. I can't really explain what was so gripping and addictive about it but it was like there were drugs in the pages. There was a lot of controversy about the last book but I liked it just as much as I liked the first book - which is saying something. The middle two were ok and I think that they definitely appealed more to the target audience - teenagers in middle school and high school.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but the way the books are written allow the reader to actually believe that it might be possible for vampires and "werewolves" to exist. (Yes, the " " belong around werewolves ... once you read the last book you'll understand). While you are reading you get lost in time and soon it's 1am and you didn't even notice that 8 hours had passed. Once you finish the book you come back to reality but while you are engaged in the words you really are living another very real life, which I find quite thrilling.

Click Here for Stephanie Meyer's official website.

No comments: