Monday, September 21, 2009

Speak

by Laurie Halse Anderson

Dedication: "To Sandy Bernstein, who helped me find my voice, and to my husband Greg, who listens."

First paragraph: "It is my first morning of high school. I have seven new notebooks, a skirt I hate, and a stomachache."

Review: Melinda has suffered and is now entering high school with no friends and withdrawn from the world around her. This book addresses her struggle within to find someone worth talking to, and, when that person comes along, to figure out what exactly she should say.

This book is amazing. The author does an amazing job at describing what Melinda is going through and her pain becomes your pain. As you read, you are actually willing Melinda to spill her guts to someone, anyone. But she doesn't. It's frustrating, infuriating, and yet that makes it all the more real. I found this book to be educational even in the way the author approaches the trauma that Melinda has faced. It's out there and there are monsters and demons in everyone's lives that must be faced and conquered.

There is a movie based on the book. I'm not sure if it's any good but I'll be watching it at some point in the weeks to come and it will be interesting to see how they make a movie about a book which is about a girl who barely speaks.

Click here for Laurie Halse Anderson's official website.

No comments: