Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Psyche in a Dress

by Francesca Lia Block

Dedication: "For Joanna"

First paragraph: "I am not a goddess I am my father's"

Review: This book tells the story of a girl's life. It starts with her young, in school, and being forced to be a part of her father's business - making movies - and then progresses through her life's bad decisions and on into her late life. The story is very short. It took me 45 minutes to an hour to finish.

The book is written in verse (I think that's what it is called). The entire book is written in symbolism and since that was one of the reasons I came to loathe English class, I can't really say I understood a whole lot about it.

Several Greek God's are referenced, including Hades, Persephone, Demeter, Eros, Aphrodite, Orpheus, and Eurydice. That made it kind of fun and at the same time still harder to understand.

I think my favorite part of the book was the last paragraph of the book. It just points out perfectly how important it is to love yourself and to know that you are good enough. I was skeptical when I first started to read but the ending made me decide it was definitely worth it.

No comments: