Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Girls

by Lori Lansens

Dedication: "For my mother and father"

First paragraph: "I have never looked into my sisters eyes. I have never bathed alone. I have never stood in the grass at night and raised my arms to a beguiling moon. I've never used an airplane bathroom. Or worn a hat. Or been kissed like that. I've never driven a car. Or slept through the night. Never a private talk. Or solo walk. I've never climbed a tree. Or faded into a crowd. So many things I've never done, but oh, how I've been loved. And, if such things were to be, I'd live a thousand lives as me, to be loved so exponentially."

Review: Ruby and Rose Darlen are craniopagus twins which means they are joined at the head. Rose has found a love for writing during her life and has decided to write an autobiography. This is her story. Well, it isn't just her story since she is never alone.

I thought this book was great. It was definitely interesting. It was not, however, exciting or intense. It's not a page turner but it's a book you want to read to the end.

Lori Lansens did an amazing job at writing the story of these conjoined twins. She had to have done months of research to write the story so convincingly. If she hadn't had her name on the front cover I would have thought it was truly an autobiography. The characters were described in such detail you couldn't help but believe they had to exist - and I'm not just referring to the main characters. Each character in Ruby and Rose's life was given so much character that they have to be real. They have to be out there somewhere wandering around Leaford.

On top of the great story is also some great inspiration. The sisters are an inspiration to the world around them and as a result they are an inspiration to the reader. If they can do it, why can't I? (Yes, I know they aren't real but there are conjoined twins out there that are).

Click Here
for Lori Lansens' website.

No comments: