Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

by Mary E. Pearson

Dedication: "For my wonderful husband, Dennis, and my precious children, Jessica, Karen, and Ben"

First Paragraph: "I used to be someone. Someone named Jenna Fox. That's what they tell me. But I am more than a name. More than they tell me. More than the facts and statistics they fill me with. More than the video clips they make me watch."

Review: Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions--questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

I read this book almost a week ago and forgot to do a review! It was good. It reminded me a lot of another series of books I'd read before but it still had some twists that were unique to this story alone. It was an easy read, interesting, but nothing too exciting or new.

It was set at a point far in the future after disaster had struck in more than one way. Part of California had collapsed into the ocean and several thousands of people had died because antibiotics had been over-used by doctors and patients. It made for an interesting setting, if nothing else.

I didn't especially love the mom; she was annoying. I thought the grandma was awesome after disliking her intensely for the first half of the book. And finally, I didn't understand the neighbor-kid's place in the story--other than to just be different.

It was an interesting story, made you ask some questions: How far would you go to save someone you loved? At what point do you just have to accept that someone is gone and let go?

Other than that, I don't really remember much -- good or bad.

If you're looking for a short, easy read, this is your book.

Click here for the website for The Adoration of Jenna Fox.

No comments: