Friday, February 17, 2012

The Death Cure (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 3)

by James Dashner

Dedication: "This book is for my mom---the best human to ever live."

First paragraph: "It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad."

Review: After surviving The Maze Runner  and The Scorch Trials, the remaining Gladers find themselves in WICKED being told that the lies are over, the trials are through and the "subjects" can finally have their memories back. The only problem is, WICKED is still WICKED and some of the Gladers aren't so willing to let bygones be bygones. Is the cure really just days away? What will it take to end the spread of the Flare and how much further is WICKED willing to go to make it happen?

Make sure you've read The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials before starting this book because there is a lot that takes place in the first two books in this trilogy.

The Death Cure has action, suspense, death, plot twists and loss and finally a few answers to all those questions you probably have.

It's a complex plot that is carried out rather well. Unfortunately, the characters aren't as well developed in this book. I lost any emotional attachment I'd previously established with the characters so when one died I may have thought, "Oh. That's too bad" but it wasn't any more than that - even with more prominent characters. I wanted to feel what Thomas was feeling but it was impossible to feel the loss of his friends' because I just wasn't connected to them like I once was.

While the story wasn't everything I hoped it would be it was still quite the page turner. There were a few plot points that were never really explained but you have to choose your battles and Dashner did answer a lot of things that had been a mystery up until now.

I still have other things to say but all of these thoughts will spoil the plot so I'm just going to stop there and say that this is an enjoyable read and I'd definitely suggest this trilogy if you haven't read it yet.

Click here for James Dashner's website and information on The Kill Order, the PREQUEL to The Maze Runner which will be released in 2012.

No comments: