Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Real Love by Rachel Lindsay

 



Real LoveReal Love by Rachel Lindsay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Dedication: "This book is dedicated to:
All of those held captive to their "life plans"... free yourself
All of those who are wondering what is on the other side of the rainbow... go look for yourself
All of those who are ready to take flight but are too afraid to try... soar"

"I wish I could say it was one thing. But the truth is, I think occasions I don't even remember might've shaped me the most. All of those instances where I ignored what brought me joy and placed everyone else's happiness over mine turned me into who I am today."

Real Love is a novel about a woman who is taking on the world. She is everything she should be and she wouldn't have it any other way. Until a turned down opportunity to go a Reality TV show shows her everything she just might be missing.

My favorite part of this story was probably the relationship between Maya and Ella. I was rooting for them to really build that sisterly relationship that they'd lost, break down the barriers that they'd put up between each other due to differing life circumstances.

Kai and Delilah were both great. I just wish I'd been able to get to know them more as characters instead of as plot points to move our heroine toward her destination. Because of this lack of depth with Kai the relationship also fell a little flat. I was definitely getting into the new romance when suddenly I was like, wait--are they not talking anymore? Why isn't he around? ... He just wasn't that big a part of the story.

Now my biggest grievance is probably the ending. I'll just say that the ending made me realize all the ways I still don't quite understand Maya. I was told her story but it was still pretty surface level so I didn't feel the connection I sometimes do--the connection that gives you insight into their choices before they make them themselves.

So, with that being said, I did enjoy the story. I don't think I would classify this as a romance per se. It's a book that has romance in it though.

It was a fun, quick read with some great insight on choosing yourself, choosing happiness and not focusing on who others want you to be.

Thank you so much Net Galley and Rachel Lindsay for this eARC.

View all my reviews

No comments: